It’s a busy fall in Sun Prairie and SPARC put together this Local Action Guide to help you keep track of what’s important to our community! Scroll down for updates & announcements of important events and volunteer opportunities.
- Monday, September 29 at 7 pm in the Performing Arts Center of the High School
- This is the all-important annual meeting where taxpayers VOTE to set tax levy and approve the annual budget. In previous years, proposals have been made by citizens at the meeting that have a major negative impact on the budget, so it’s absolutely critical that EVERY VOTER who cares about our schools attends to make sure the budget it passed at a level that assures success for all learners, and to ensure that any proposals that are passed at the meeting truly reflect the will of the community. All voters of the SPASD are eligible to vote at the meeting – and “futures depend on us” to be there and support our schools!
- Free childcare will be provided
- Click here to review the Annual Meeting Book
VOTER REGISTRATION & INFORMATION: Need to register? Not sure where to vote? Visit My Vote Wisconsin to find your polling place, see a sample of the fall ballot, and learn what you need to do to register. You can register at the polls on election day or you can register in advance in person at City Hall or the Sun Prairie Public Library. Be sure to bring proof of residency with you to register! Not sure if you have what you need to vote? Check out this handy new interactive voter guide from United Wisconsin to find out!
EARLY/ABSENTEE VOTING: You can vote early (in-person absentee voting) at City Hall from Oct. 20-Oct 31. Alternately, you can request that an absentee ballot be mailed to you (requests must be made by Thursday, Oct. 30 and ballots must be postmarked or returned to City Hall by 8pm on election day). Sun Prairie residents can click here for more information about Absentee Voting.
UPDATE: Due to the US Supreme Court ruling, the VOTER ID law will NOT be in effect for the Nov. 4, 2014 election. Voters are not required to show proof of identification. The only documentation an unregistered voter needs is proof of residence to register to vote.
VOTER ID LAW: As of today, the voter id requirement WILL be in effect for the fall election, so please encourage everyone you know to be prepared at the polls and help spread this important information. SPARC has several volunteers lined up to provide FREE rides to the DMV for anyone who needs one. Just email SunPrairieAction@gmail.com to make arrangements. Here are some voter resources you may find helpful: Acceptable forms of photo ID: Click here for a list of acceptable IDs. Click here for the complete rules. (GAB). How to Get a FREE ID for Voting Purposes (GAB) Answers to Voter ID Questions (ACLU) Information for Voters without ID and Without a Birth Certificate (League of Women Voters) More on this at the GAB website. DMV Office Finder (hours and locations) (DMV)
POLL WORKERS NEEDED:
The City of Sun Prairie needs your help to ensure a fair and smooth election on Nov. 4. Full and half-day shifts available, compensation provided. Must attend one of four training sessions that will be held on Oct. 22 (4:30pm), 23 (9am), 29 (5pm), and 30 (9am). For more information, contact Arrin Linzenmeyer at City Hall – firstname.lastname@example.org or 837-2511.
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- NAACP Candidate Forum, Oct. 9, 2014. 5 – 9 p.m., Edgewood College, Anderson Auditorium – Predolin Hall, 1000 Monroe Street, Madison, WI. This event is free and open to the public!
- Community Session on Testing and Assessment for Grades K-12. Wed. Oct. 15, 6:30pm, Sun Prairie High School. RSVP on the SPASD facebook page. Sun Prairie Area Schools is now on facebook and twitter. Be sure to follow them to stay informed of news and events.
- Sun Prairie Reads main event! An evening with Seedfolks author Paul Fleischman. October 17, 6:30pm at the Sun Prairie High School PAC. SPr ARC was honored to partner with the library for our “Growing Community” series of discussions and the Grow it Forward Community Art & Action project – be sure to get to the library to post your flowers on our community mural in advance of the author’s visit!
- Did you know Union Cab of Sun Prairie provides FREE CAB RIDES TO THE POLLS ON ELECTION DAY for anyone who needs one? Call 608-837-5550 or 608-242-2020 to arrange a ride, and be sure to thank this worker-owned cooperative for this wonderful service to our community!
- School Board Committee Positions are Available. Apply Today! The Sun Prairie School Board is seeking community members to serve as citizen representatives on two of its committees. Community input has been a valuable asset to the work of the School Board. Each committee meets once per month. Appointment is for two years beginning November 3, 2014.
Planning Committee — 2 citizen representatives needed. This committee is responsible for the development of planning for the District’s instructional and operational/business functions, helping to provide the School Board with a common focus for decision-making. Meets the 1st Monday of each month at 6:30 pm.
Performance & Operations Committee — 3 citizen representatives needed. This committee is responsible for monitoring and providing guidance to the School Board on all items pertaining to the current fiscal and/or academic year. Meets the 3rd Monday of each month at 6:30 pm.
If interested, please mail or deliver a letter with your name, address, telephone number, and a statement not to exceed 500 words about your qualifications and interest in appointment to serve to: Chandu Vemuri, Sun Prairie Area School District, 501 South Bird Street, Sun Prairie, WI 53590. Applications Due: Monday, October 13, 2014 by 4 pm. You do not need to specify the committee for which you’re applying unless you have a preference. Any adult resident in the Sun Prairie Area School District is eligible to apply for appointment. Interviews with interested applicants will be held during the week of October 20th.
- Prairie Job Connect meets every Tuesday from 10-noon at Sunshine Place, 1632 W. Main St. “People of all education levels, work histories and backgrounds are welcome” to drop in “to meet with a team of professionals is available to help build resumes, walk though applying for jobs online with on-site computers, finding employment postings and develop other skills needed to navigate the job market.” For more information, call Vreugdenhil at 608-825-3225 or email her at email@example.com.
- Schools of Hope is looking for tutors in math and reading to work 30-45 minutes a week with one student over the school year. Application materials available online.
- School Friends – a mentoring program through Dane County Big Brothers/Big Sisters – needs volunteers to match mentors with 70 kids in Sun Prairie schools. Click here for more info.
- Sunshine Connections – volunteers are always needed to help with local programs like Meals on Wheels, Sunshine Suppers and more. Visit Sunshine Connections for more info.
- Interested in volunteering on a local campaign? Please note that while SPARC is a non-partisan civic organization and doesn’t support or endorse candidates, we’re happy to pass on information about opportunities to get involved, and we encourage everyone to take an active part in the fall elections and promoting civic engagement in Sun Prairie! We gladly share information that our members ask us to pass on to our lists.The Sun Prairie for Mary Burke office is located near Kwik Trip, at 1150 W. Main Street. The phone number is 608-422-2999. Stop in between 8AM and 8PM to see how you can get involved: making phone calls, canvasing door-to-door, preparing food for volunteers, preparing materials, decorating the office, the opportunities are endless! The office will be holding a kick-off celebration on Saturday, Sept. 27 from 2:30-5:30 pm. RSVP here.Click here to find the nearest GOP field office (if there’s a local office, no one has shared that info yet).
Have news or announcements to share in the SPARC Local Action Guide? Email your suggestions to SunPrairieAction@gmail.com!