Looking for ways to put the “hometown” in “home for the holidays?”
It’s easy! Start right here in Sun Prairie!
4 simple ways to support our community this holiday season
- Shop where you live! Supporting locally-owned businesses makes our community stronger! While big-box options might provide some convenience, nothing beats the service and specialization of the many wonderful small businesses downtown. Looking for something unique for gift exchanges or teacher gifts? Visit Prairie Flowers & Gifts (245 East Main) for fun Sun Prairie-themed items and other unique gifts. Cannery Wine and Spirits (240 East Main) has a selection of specialty items you can’t find anywhere else. There are so many ways to keep your money right here in Sun Prairie and still find something for everyone on your list! For more ideas about shopping locally in the area, check out The Star‘s annual Holiday Shopping Guide.
- Eat where you live! Avoid chain franchises and support locally owned restaurants. SPARC members especially recommend Salvatore’s Tomato Pies, 503 West Main, for the best of the best in locally grown, locally produced, 100% homemade pizza that’s just beyond compare. Sal’s won top honors in the first annual 2012 Slice of Sun Prairie pizza contest, so if you haven’t checked it out yet, treat yourself to a pie after a day of shopping on Main Street.
- Give where you live! Local families need extra help around the holidays, and there are a number of ways you can give:
- Contribute to SPARC’s School Snack Drive to help make sure no child goes hungry during the school day in our community. For more information, email SunPrairieAction@gmail.com or call (608) 825-2518.
- The Sun Prairie Emergency Food Pantry (located in the Sunshine Place facility at 18 Rickel Road, P.O. Box 611Sun Prairie, WI 53590 helps many people in need. If you can donate or volunteer, stop by or call (608) 825.3875.
- Keep Sun Prairie Warm – Sunshine Connections is collecting any sized gently used snow pants/suits, boots, and waterproof gloves and mittens for local kids who don’t have cold weather gear. You can drop any donations off at 3053 Trenton Drive, Sun Prairie.
- Act where you live! Get involved! Attend a City Council or School Board meeting. Sit in on your school’s next PTO meeting. Meet up with neighbors at a community event. Start a project or committee at your work or religious institution to fill a need and make a difference. Join a club or organization (we recommend SPARC!). Run for office and be part of the teams that make important decisions at the local level (candidacy papers are due Jan. 2). Think of one thing you can do to get more involved, and do it. You won’t regret it – we promise!
Every time one of us takes time to act, our community takes a step forward. Here’s to moving forward together in the new year!