- Oct. 11, 1:30pm meet and greet with Mark Pocan, Buck N’ Honey’s in Sun Prairie at 804 Liberty Blvd
- Oct. 13, 9-11am, FREE Community Progressive Pancake Breakfast. Stoughton High School, 600 Lincoln. Sponsored by the Stoton Dems & Progressives. Candidates Speaking: Mark Miller 4 St. Senate, Mark Pocan 4 US House, Gary Hebl 4 Assembly, Andy Jorgensen 4 Assembly, Scott McDonell 4 County Clerk (invited), Mahlon Mitchell (invited) candidate 4 Lt. Gov. in recall, & Joy First peace & anti-drone activist
- Oct. 14: 2 p.m.,SPARC meeting at Al’s house, 1176 Virdon Drive. All are welcome!
- Oct. 14: 4-6:30 (after SPARC mtg). Call Party at OFA. OFA needs help asap with phone calls to known supporters & volunteers to get more people into the office to help. You can stop by the office to volunteer at any time if you can’t make this event. If you want to help Get Out The Vote, the time is now…with the election less than a month away, they’re calling for all hands on deck! Contact Stephanie Feld at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to volunteer in the office or with canvassing. Here’s the OFA office info: 608-338-2268, 1632 West Main, Sun Prairie, WI 53590; Hours 9-9 daily
- Oct. 14 – Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department Open House, 8:00 am – 3:00 pm, 135 N. Bristol St., 608-837-5066 www.spvfd.com
- –> URGENT ACTION <– Oct. 15: Sun Prairie School Board Annual Meeting. 7pm, SP High School. The biggest meeting of the year, where the community votes on the budget. Please plan to attend! In the past, anti-tax groups have organized to show up in large numbers and sabotage the vote and/or make bizarre anti-school proposals. This is your chance to support our schools. You don’t have to talk, but you are encouraged to do so if you wish. Please, please be there!
- –> BIG EVENT! <– Oct. 16 – Debate Watch Party & Candidate Meet and Greet at Prairie Lanes, 430 Clarmar. Join us for a Presidential debate viewing party and chance to chat with WI State Representative Gary Hebl! Informal meet & greet starts at 6:30, debate begins at 8. Come when you can, leave when you must. Families & friends welcome!
- Oct 18: Mike McCabe of the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
Money in Politics 7 p.m. UW-Whitewater Campus, Timmerman Auditorium-Hyland Hall, 809 W. Starin Road, free and open to the public. Free parking available across the street from the auditorium in Lot 7
- Oct. 18: DEADLINE for School Board Citizen Representative applications. Get more involved and stand up for public education! With Round Two of Walker’s budget cuts looming, it is critical that the will of the District is reflected accurately on the School Board. The Sun Prairie Area School District has restructured its committees – Beginning November 1, 2012, there will be two Committees of the School Board instead of four. The School Board is seeking three to four community members to serve on the new committees:The Planning Committee will be responsible for the development of planning for the District’s instructional and operational/business functions to provide the Board with a common focus and structure for understanding and decision making. The Performance and Operations Committee will be responsible for monitoring and providing guidance on all items pertaining to the current fiscal and/or academic year.More information here. If you have questions read Board Procedure BCE-R or contact School Board President Tom Weber at email@example.com .Any adult resident in the Sun Prairie Area School District is eligible to apply for appointment. Appointment is for one to two years beginning November 1, 2012 depending on the appointment. Click here for Application in Word. Click here for Application as pdf.
- Oct. 20: Trivia Night benefit for Dane County Libraries – players still needed! 7pm, VFW, 349 S. Walker Way in Sun Prairie and various other Dane County locations. $10/player to benefit the Beyond the Page program. www.beyondthepage.info You don’t have to be a trivia whiz – this is all in fun and everyone is welcome! Can add people to our team(s) up until Wed 10/17 so please email Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to join us! You can pay online or at the door.
- Nov. 2, ColoniALE event – fundraiser for Colonial Club featuring special “Coloniale” brewed by SPARC’s own Dane County Supervisor Nick Zweifel
- Nov. 6: Election Day. Early voting starts Oct 22. Contact the City Clerk, Diane Hermann-Brown at email@example.com if you’d like to help work at the polls – more people are still needed!
- Nov. 29, SPARC NIGHT OUT! Mark your calendars for the next SPARC social event – a time to chat and unwind with local progressives and talk politics and more. Details to follow.
- Support Public Education! National call to action – Oct 17 deadline from education advocate Diane Ravitch: Write a letter to President Obama on public education http://dianeravitch.net/2012/10/06/spread-the-word-about-october-17-campaign-for-our-public-schools/
- It’s letter to the editor time! If you’d like to show your support for a candidate by writing a letter to The Star, now’s the time! Email firstname.lastname@example.org your letter of 350 words or less (and ideally 250 words or less – the shorter the better, as it’s more likely to be published). We have tips and sample letters available – just ask!
- RUN FOR LOCAL OFFICE! There will be open seats on the School Board, City Council, and Mayor on the Spring 2013 ballot and NOW is the time for grassroots candidates to stand up and get involved. These seats often go unchallenged in our community, and progressive candidates have never had a better support network than they do now! If you have ever considered running and would like to talk more about it, SPARC can help! We can put you in touch with profession organizations, people who have run successfully in the past, and help explain the process of running for office. We ask all our members and supporters to think seriously about taking their civic involvement and commitment to the next level. Candidate materials will be due in December, so contact us (SunPrairieAction@gmail.com) ASAP if you want to learn more – and if you’re already thinking about running, please let us know – LOCAL ACTION WORKS!
SPARC is still looking for members who would be willing to serve as representatives to School Board and City Council meetings. You don’t have to speak (unless you want to, and even then you don’t have to speak on behalf of the group), but you would report back at SPARC meetings and share what you learned and how we can get involved. We’re also happy to talk with anyone interested in running for local office. We have MANY seats open next spring, and most of the current Council got (and stays) in office by running unopposed. If you’re interested in either of these, send us a note or let us know at the next meeting. As always, you’re welcome to join us! The more the merrier!
Candidates & Campaigns: A number of people have asked how to support local Assembly candidates, and while SPARC does not officially endorse candidates, we are happy to put you in touch with them. Here are links to the candidates most beloved by SPARC members. If you’d like to pass on contact info for other candidates, please let us know.
- To support Gary Hebl (District 46) click here
- To support Mary Arnold (District 37) click here
- To support Scott Michalak (District 38) click here
- To support Fred Clark (District 81) click here
- To support Robb Kahl (District 47) click here
- To support Melissa Sargeant (District 48), click here
- To find out what Assembly District YOU live in, click here
- To volunteer for the Obama/Baldwin campaigns, sign up on dashboard and connect with the local team, or visit the OFA office at 1632 Main Street in Sun Prairie or email Stephanie Feld at email@example.com
Progressive NEWS of note
- As Goes Janesville – a must-watch Independent Lens documentary. If you missed it on PBS, catch a screening at 1pm Oct 20th at the Sequoya Library in Madison.
- New documentary on the Iowa primary, Janeane From Des Moines, is getting rave reviews. SPARC is thinking about hosting a screening if there’s sufficient interest. Let us know if you’d attend and we’ll take it to the next level.
- “Pinkwashing Fracking?” Fascinating article by Steve Horn on the connections between the Komen Foundation and fracking.
- The Lighthouse of Sun Prairie is being picketed for unfair labor practices. If anyone knows more about this than the report found in The Starhere, please share.
- Bill Moyers on drones: http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/266-32/13898-killing-the-kids-that-dont-need-to-die
- Forward Lookout article on the Hebl/Schaefer race in Assembly District 46
- Follow @PrairieAction on Twitter and help us build our following to get instant messages out to the community!
- Join the SPARC community on facebook for everyday info sharing and discussion.
- Email items you’d like us to consider for inclusion in the next SPARC Digest to SunPrairieAction@gmail.com