In an effort to streamline our communications, SPARC will now collect info to send out to our email list in weekly “digest” format. To join our mailing list, email SunPrairieAction@gmail.com with “SUBSCRIBE” in the subject line. To submit a news or event item for consideration, email with “Item for DIGEST” in the subject line.
We’ll also keep a (sometimes updated) version of this digest online here on our webpage.
Hope you like the new format – feedback appreciated! We aim to meet your local progressive needs :)
SPARC Digest: Inaugural Issue! (Volume 1, Sept. 28, 2012)
- Sat. Sept. 29, Heartland RV Tour Rally w/ Kurt Woodsmith (Red from “That 70s Show!”) 11:15am at the Sun Prairie OFA office, 1632 West Main
- Wed. Oct. 3, 5:00pm Special Registration Deputy (SRD) training for Sun Prairie. Get trained and certified to register voters in this one-hour session. RSVP to Diane Hermann-Brown at Dhermann@cityofsunprairie.com
- Wed. Oct. 3, 6:30pm: Voting 101: Back to Basics. A community info session on voting in Wisconsin. This event is sponsored by the GAB and designed to set the record straight on voting dos and don’ts, how the law has (and hasn’t) changed, and more. Everything you need to know! See the attached description for more info and invite your friends! No RSVP needed for this event.
- Oct. 6: Pre-Election Comedy Show with Hal Sparks and John Fuglesang at the Barrymore. Tix are $35 each. If you want to meet up w/ those of us from the SPARC gang who are going, let us know! Talking about getting dinner first at Lao Laan Xang.
- Oct. 7: Democrats & Progressives Fundraiser for Wisconsin Grassroots at Lake Wisconsin Country Club in Prairie du Sac. 5:30-9pm
- Oct. 14: 2 p.m.,SPARC meeting at Al’s house, 1176 Virdon Drive. All are welcome!
- Oct. 14 – Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department Open House, 8:00 am – 3:00 pm, 135 N. Bristol St., 608-837-5066 www.spvfd.com
- Oct. 15: Sun Prairie School Board Annual Meeting. 7pm, SP High School. The biggest meeting of the year, where the community votes on the budget. Please plan to attend! In the past, anti-tax groups have organized to show up in large numbers and “stuff the ballot box” with their votes, so it’s important that this meeting is as well-attended as possible by those who truly care about quality public education.
- Oct. 16 – SPARC NIGHT OUT! Presidential debate viewing party and tentative candidate meet & greet. Stay tuned for details; plans are in the works.
- Nov. 2, ColoniALE event – fundraiser for Colonial Club featuring special “Coloniale” brewed by SPARC’s own Dane County Supervisor Nick Zweifel
- Positions Available On NEW School Board Committees – Apply Today!
Have you considered becoming more involved in the Sun Prairie Area School District and sharing your experience and knowledge to help serve the students of the district? The Sun Prairie Area School District has restructured its committees to more effectively serve our students and community. Beginning November 1, 2012, there will be two Committees of the School Board instead of four. The School Board is seeking three to four community members to serve on one of the following new committees:The Planning Committee will be responsible for the development of planning for the District’s instructional and operational/business functions to provide the Board with a common focus and structure for understanding and decision making.The Performance and Operations Committee will be responsible for monitoring and providing guidance on all items pertaining to the current fiscal and/or academic year.More information on both committees is available on the school district website here. If you have questions about the role of the community representative, please read Board Procedure BCE-R . You may also contact School Board President Tom Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org .Copies of Policy BCE, Board Committees, and BCE-R, Board Committee Procedures, are also available upon request at the District Office weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Any adult resident in the Sun Prairie Area School District is eligible to apply for appointment. Appointment is for one to two years beginning November 1, 2012. depending on the appointment.If interested, please mail (or deliver) the application (or a letter) containing your name, address, telephone number, and a statement not to exceed 500 words with your qualifications and interest in serving on one of the committees. There is no need to specify the committee for which you’d like to be considered unless you have a preference. You may mail (or drop off) the letter to the Sun Prairie Area School District Office, 501 S. Bird Street in Sun Prairie, Attn: Gwen King.
SPARC is still looking for members who would be willing to serve as representatives to School Board and City Council meetings. You don’t have to speak (unless you want to, and even then you don’t have to speak on behalf of the group), but you would report back at SPARC meetings and share what you learned and how we can get involved. We’re also happy to talk with anyone interested in running for local office. We have MANY seats open next spring, and members of the current Council often got (or stayed) in office by running unopposed. If you’re interested in either of these, send us a note or let us know at the next meeting. As always, you’re welcome to join us! The more the merrier!
Candidates & Campaigns: A number of people have asked how to support local Assembly candidates, and while SPARC does not officially endorse candidates, we are happy to put you in touch with them. Here are links to the candidates supported by most SPARC members. If you’d like to pass on contact info for other candidates, please let us know.
- To support Gary Hebl (District 46) click here
- To support Mary Arnold (District 37) click here
- To support Scott Michalak (District 38) click here
- To support Fred Clark (District 81) click here
- To support Robb Kahl (District 47) click here
- To support Melissa Sargeant (District 48), click here
- To find out what Assembly District YOU live in, click here
- To volunteer for the Obama/Baldwin campaigns, sign up on dashboard and connect with the local team, or visit the OFA office at 1632 Main Street in Sun Prairie or email Stephanie Feld at email@example.com
Progressive NEWS of note
- Forward Lookout article on the Hebl/Schaefer race in Assembly District 46
- Dane County extends AFSCME contract
- Madison School Board has agreed to enter contract negotiations with teachers after Act 10 was overruled
- The Progressive takes on Walker and Ever’s move toward increased privatization and business investment in public education